February 22, 2012

A Hoodie Makeover


So my DIY's have been on the odd side lately it might seem as if I've lost my mind and you may be right. I'm just having fun with them and today's in particular. I have one grandma who I remember wearing sweaters like this one I tried to recreate out of pure nostalgia. I remember going to rodeos and seeing elderly ladies in their decked out embellished sweaters with sparkling conchos and navajo styles all aglow. I really tried finding the perfect picture online to describe what I'm talking about but if you're from American Fork, Lehi, Spanish Fork or even Springville you know exactly what I'm talking about. The best would have been, if I would have planned properly, to hang out at the Harts gas station for a while until I found the perfect model and I know it wouldn't have taken long at all. A nice, short, stout middle aged woman wearing one would have appeared magically with her refill mug headed straight for the fountain Diet Coke.

[example 1] typical
[example 2] may favorite
[example 3] OMG! You guys, this dude in this sweatshirt is seriously giving me a side cramp.
[example 4] this jacket is killer but not typically seen on a local AF lady

These sweaters were popular in the 80's and early 90's and in some women's eyes they never went out of style. Who am I to judge? I thought since the southwestern style is currently trendy and I like comfort so why not try this with a thrifted hoodie?

Here is the before except imagine it teal and not mustard colored (I forgot to take a before pic, okay?).
I used masking tape to guide me in painting on the pink zig zag stripe and light teal stripe. I took the conchos that I purchased at Walmart and threaded strands of yarn and leather through them and hand sewed them directly on to the hoodie. Besides letting the paint dry this didn't take long at all to do. I had fun and it has now been added to Tyrone's growing list of articles of clothing I'm not "allowed" to wear out in public with him. It's super comfortable and perfect for wearing with my baggy period pants and embarrassing the hell out of my husband.


DIY Leather Mustache turned Necklace
Sweater turned Cowl & Mittens
DIY Sunglass Hanger
DIY Phone Case

3 comments:

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

oh my gosh. i love this so much!

it looks awesome!

kendahl a. said...

You could wear this to Steel Days. I guarantee you would not be the only one with something like this on; it's perfect! Even better - the Strawberry Days rodeo. There are always the coolest cowboys there.

Unknown said...

Just, amazing. Simply amazing.