October 30, 2008

Zen Like Stuffed Onions In A Not So Flash



"Are you eating it? Or is it eating you?" -Larry Cohen

So on Sunday I made stuffed onions for Ty. I got ideas for this recipe from about 3 others. Ty raved over the first batch so he made me make them again on Tuesday night and since I think they are amazing I had to share. I would like to say they were quick and easy, but all I can say is that they definitely weren't painful and absolutely worth the wait. As I read over the recipe the ingredients sound like they wouldn't go together but they totally do. Try 'Em and let me know what you think.
Oven 350 degrees2 white or yellow onions (yellow are sweeter)
6 slices of bacon 4 slices chopped
1 clove Garlic
1/4 c. Dijon Honey Mustard
2T. Apple Cidar Vinegar
2T. Brown Sugar (not Shuga)
1T. Water
1 slice wheat bread (or whatever you have around)
1 Egg white
2T Butter
2 slices of swiss or gouda cheese (or whatever kind you desire)

First: Cut tops and bottoms off of both onions, peel. Chop enough off both ends so that they can stand up straight and core out the middle. Dice remaining onions. In a casserole dish filled with about 2 inches of water place both onions in it and cook covered with tin foil in oven for 45 min.

Second: While onions are cooking in oven, cook diced onions and diced garlic in frying pan with chopped bacon until slightly crispy over low-medium heat. Once finished set aside.

Third: In a mixing bowl combine vinegar, brown sugar and water. Then add mustard, bread and egg white and add salt and pepper if desired. Add bacon mixture to bowl and mix all together.

Fourth: Pull out onions from oven once finished and pour out the water in the casserole dish. Add mixture to the centers of the onions and place back in the oven uncovered for 15 min.

Five: Pull out onions from oven once 15 min. is done and top each onion with a slice of cheese and the remaining strips of bacon and 1 T. of butter on top of each onion. (This will totally give you a heart attack but it's worth it) Place back in onion on Broil for 3-5 min. until bacon is crispy and cheese has melted.


"We think in secret, and it comes to pass. Our environment is but our looking glass." - unknown

I had to do it only because every time I look at his enormous ears I wonder if he secretly flies at night saving the world.
Frederick's Batman Costume. Totaling $3.07.

1 black bandana
1 black ribbon
1 black small sheet of felt
1 gold small sheet of felt
glue gun
go crazy


3 comments:

Strebel's said...

I love it

Anonymous said...

i am proud of my gay grandpuppy dog and his cute batman outfit, bobo would be jealous

Angela said...

okay, Frederick's costume looks great! we'll have to try the onions one of these days. sounds yum.