October 1, 2013

DIY: Doll Head Specimen Jars {repost}

For the truly twisted individuals.
I like cute Halloween and I like creepy Halloween but I think I prefer creepy over cute. I admit I like creepy any time of the year but Halloween, as we all know it is the time of year we get to truly Let Our Freak Flag's fly.

I'm all sorts of giddy typing up this post while I listen to my Halloween Hit List. I made some more specimen jars to go on The Mantle for this year. I am loving them and had a million ideas that I could have done but I tried not to let it get out of hand. It works out perfect for a glass jar hoarder like myself. I did head to the thrift store for the tall one because I wanted a larger one in my display.
This is too easy; all you need are jars, food coloring, doll heads (or any other specimens you prefer) and water. I realize these won't last forever but when the holiday is over I'll just dump out the water and save the doll heads and jars for next year.
she is almost too cute to experiment with
Take your doll heads and tuff the jars with them, use tongs to adjust them as needed. You might also need to disfigure the head to make it fit too which is what I had to do.
Fill with water; if you don't want the heads to float to the top you can put rocks inside of them to keep them weighted down. I did this in one of them.
Add food coloring and let it float around. It will eventually float to the bottom. You can stir it around with the tongs or shake the jar a bit to get it to mix well.

Screw the lid on and your done.

Tomorrow I'll have a DIY on bloody garland and a doll head bloody bow tie AND a Halloween Costume Series post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that halloween deko idea! So cool!

brandy-son Zen master flash said...

Thanks Sabrina!!!

Anika said...

LOVE them...how cute are they??!?

Unknown said...

So excited! Got some jars, fake fingers and cockroaches for now. Totally will credit you once I have it done. :)

brandy-son Zen master flash said...

I can't wait to see them. I'm sure yours will be much creepier than mine (in a good way).