July 9, 2012

The Reunion pt. 2

{part 1 here}

Our first planning meeting went well I suppose. I think I've strategically managed to keep myself out of the major decisions. (Surprise, surprise I'm in charge of decorations!!)There has been a lot of email exchange that I get to witness. I was a bit nervous to go to the first meeting but I left feeling good. One of the things we want to do is play music from the year's we spent in high school which I really like. One girl even brought her yearbook and some photos she had from back then. One in particular was a picture of a dance I went to with my BFF, her now husband, and the date I had at the time. I'm trying to think of ways to that I can try and play it off to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal but back then it was a big deal. I can pretend that I no longer have any emotional ties to seeing pictures like that from back and I can pretend that the "date" I had didn't mean anything to me but that would be a huge lie. Back then he definitely meant a great deal to me and it took a while for me to get over him. It helped that he turned into a major douche and to this day still sort of is or at least that is how he portrays himself on FB (one benefit of that social network). I can say that I longer hate or feel any discord towards him which is such a relief and one of the few perks of growing up. The immature part of me vomited a little in my mouth when she pulled out the picture. It wasn't so ironic when I got back in my car to go home that night that Don't Speak by No Doubt came on the radio and made me think about those days even more so. Speaking of songs from that time period (1994-1997) No Doubt was huge and you can pretty much guess that I wore out my copy of Tragic Kingdom, which I still have to this day. It is nestled in my huge, black, trapper keeper-like CD case adorned with random band stickers.

Gwen Stefani really spoke to me, OK?

My BFF and her husband are one of the few couples that married their high school sweetheart who are still together to this day. It's more fun for me to see how they looked in our old dance pictures, than I do at myself, and where they are now.

I did have an epiphany that this reunion is a perfect opportunity to whip out the flask my brother bought for me last year. Sadly there aren't a lot of events I can take something like that to that I have discovered thus far.

On Sunday morning Tyrone and I watched American Reunion (shut up) and I couldn't help but think of how our reunion will NOT be anything like that. Not much drama. Just a bunch of boring adults talking about their boring lives. If someone could show up drunk that would be great. I wouldn't put past myself to pay someone to do that just so that it can be entertaining. Some funny confessions where they steal the mike from the host and unload on everyone there or a mistress of an ex-football player showing up and crashing the party would be hysterical (for me) if any such skeleton-in-the-closet-revealing episode would occur. Walking in on someone doing in the bathroom would be less than desirable though.

my high school 90's playlist (a little ambiance that you can get from pretty much any list out there about the 90's)
Don't Speak - No Doubt
Glycerine - Bush
Zombie - The Cranberries
My Name Is Jonas - Weezer (The Blue Album)
Creep - TLC
You - Candlebox
Bad Habit - Offspring
Get it Together - Beastie Boys
Welcome To Paradise - Green Day
Come As Your Are - Nirvana
Possum Kingdom - Toadies
Round Here - Counting Crows
6 - Underground - Sneaker Pimps
Renegades of Funk - Rage Against The Machine
Ava Adore - The Smashing Pumpkins
Loser - Beck
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Santeria - Sublime
Wonder Wall - Oasis
Italian Leather Sofa - Cake
Dammit - Blink 182
Freak - Silverchair
Kool Think - Sonic Youth
The Impression That I Get - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Let's Go - Rancid
Insane In The Brain - Cypress Hill
Freak on a Leash - Korn
Closer - NIN
Cornflake Girl - Tori Amos
Foolish Games - Jewel
Ironic - Alanis Morrisette
Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang - Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre
Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G.

2 comments:

Simon O'Corra said...

I totally get your feelings about reunions I never did go to one, not least as the gay guy who came n Fo total flack back then, I don't to hook up with a load bigots.....

kendahl a. said...

Tragic Kingdom was the second CD I ever owned and I played the hell out of it. It's one CD that almost everyone owns, I swear. Your playlist is pretty awesome and I can sing every single song! I think I was musically ahead of my time.