December 29, 2009

So Long 2009 - We Won't Be Missing You

I am so glad to have 2009 over with. I am surprisingly ready for 2010. Bring it on!

Our family has survived two weddings, a baby, lost loved ones, new pets, lay-offs, new jobs, downsizing, 4 different moves and … well I’d love to finish this sentence but I’m afraid my brain just short circuited.

This year has brought Tyrone and me together in strength through struggle and good times the biggest one of all – getting married in June. We moved our date up 3 months from our original set date of September 14th. September 14th is our dating anniversary and we wanted to keep it but after my brother and his wife moved their date up a few months we decided it wouldn’t be that bad if we moved ours up as well. Honestly, we were chomping at the bit. We just couldn’t wait any longer. All while planning our wedding we were going through some rough patches financially and decided we needed to downsize to a smaller place with cheaper rent. I had a hard time with this because I really loved our 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment. It was huge and had great lighting and in a decent neighborhood. Once I finally accepted the need for us to downsize and when I came to the conclusion that this was best for us I was able to be at peace with it. Along with downsizing Tyrone has also sold every piece of property he owned just so that we could make it. Tyrone has had to swallow his own pride with making the decision to get rid of his car and drive Old Blue. His Lancer Evo was one of his dream cars and he was so proud to have it but decided that he wanted better things for us than driving a nice car. So our goal in the next year is to be in a position where we can buy a house. He has been so positive with all the different jobs (he starts job number 6 next week) he has had to take and with everything that has gone on I look up to him so much. He has helped me to not have a total melt down and remember that things can always be worse. I’ve always hated when people say that – but it’s a fact. We have each other and God in our lives and that is all we can ask for in the end. Thank you God for an incredible match that you brought me in Tyrone – THANK YOU!

Besides the wedding for me one of my biggest accomplishments this past year would have to be the Canyonlands Moab ½ marathon I did with my friend Jenni back in March. I am so glad I had her there to help me through it. Another cool thing that happened was that our husbands started a band together. I am so proud of them. They are really starting to come together and totally rocked their first show. And they will be starting 2010 off with another show on New Years Day. This Friday!

One of my goals for 2009 was to start my own small business but I have now put that off till 2010. I don’t want to rush into it and want to make sure that I do it smartly. I am getting closer and closer to having it become a reality.

One of my biggest regrets is having cut bangs. They are so overrated. They are not for lazy people with curly hair like me.

In 2009 I’ve upped my dosage of coffee intake and lowered my soda intake. Not sure if that is a positive or if they just cancel each other out. The soda thing is a huge deal for me. In high school and college I would drink it ALL DAY LONG and that carried out all until about 6 months ago. I did take a short break from it for 4 months when I was 21 and it didn’t do a damn thing for me. I went off of carbonated soda and any caffeine intake and I didn’t notice a difference in my weight or how I felt. Seriously. So why would I try to go off of it nowadays? Well, I’ve started to notice when I drink carbonated drinks that I feel so much more bloated and for some reason a Coke will make me crash so much more quicker than anything else. As I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed things my body doesn’t like anymore. Thus, I started drinking more water and coffee. Coffee doesn’t make me crash and I’m a strong coffee advocate – I’ll leave it at that. I know there are a lot of coffee haters out there and I’m not just talking about Utahns. Our financial situation has played a big factor in it as well. I decided that I needed to start taking advantage of the free beverages provided at work; water and coffee. I hate water with a bloody passion but after months of literally forcing myself to drink it I don’t have so much disdain for it any more. I try to buy a $2 creamer from the grocery store that will last about a week instead of going to Starbucks everyday and forking out $5 dollars a pop for a Grande or Venti Carmel Hazelnut Frapuccino. It’s sick to think about how much I’ve spent on that every day. Yes! I would do that everyday pretty much.

In 2009 I feel like I’ve grown up so much. I am definitely feeling my age and I’m glad to say that I don’t mind saying that I am 31. I use to say that I would be glad to stay 21 forever but I don’t anymore. The self-confidence you gain as you get older is very gratifying and fulfilling. I love it! If only you could have that self-assurance when you are in high school, can you imagine what you could have achieved?

In 2009 I wanted to buy a house and have a baby and that didn’t happen but that is OK. We will keep our Hope for 2010.

I can’t believe how time is flying and normally I would be very bugged about it but this year I am not. I can’t wait for 2010. It has got to be better, right? (I say this fully aware that I may have just jinxed us)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brandy its so kool so see the inner strength and growth i see as i read your words, if anyone truly knew all the trials you and ty have been threw this year they would as I am amazed your in one piece, i thank God everyday for the gift of such an awesome daughter ,you, he gave to me i truly dont deserve it but i am so grateful, i pray for blessing and the desires of your heart for your lives this year, i luv u my bubz.