September 1, 2011

Fall Recipe - Chicken Curry


I am finally posting the chicken curry recipe I have bragged about this past summer that we tried. This is adapted from a few other recipes that I had and came up with my own version. Although it isn't really unique. I love it so much and now Tyrone is hooked on it too. It will be perfect for fall and the cold months ahead of us. This recipe isn't super spicy it's more peppery than spicy but it is really flavorful. I used flavored coconut milk because it is what we usually have in the refrigerator and it works just fine. I saw that some recipes called for a tablespoon or so of sugar so I opted not to add sugar and use the vanilla flavored coconut milk instead. I'm sure it's good with plain coconut milk and no sugar too. I want to try this with tofu but honestly I'm terrified of cooking tofu. I'm pretty sure I'd screw it up.

The Zen Master Flash's Chicken Curry
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped in large pieces (can substitute veggies or tofu)
12 oz Coconut Milk (vanilla flavored)
1 T cornstarch
2 T olive oil
4-5 garlic cloves minced
1 red onion chopped
1/4 t chili powder
1/2 t cumin
2 t curry powder
1 t ginger powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t paprika
Start out by cooking the chopped onions in the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or deep dish pan on the stove top until the onions are iridescent. While the onions are cooking mix the coconut milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Take the onions out of the pan and set aside as well. Add chicken to pan and fry until there is no more pink showing in the chicken, add spices, garlic and salt & pepper while it cooks then add the cornstarch and coconut milk mixture to the chicken. I like to mix all of the spices together in a separate bowl before adding them. Cook for just a few minutes until the sauce thickens and lower the heat. Add the onions and simmer for just a few minutes longer or to desired temperature.

Serve over rice
1 c long grain white or brown rice with 2 cups of water. Place in rice cooker while you cook the main dish.


There's a lot of spices and ingredients but it is really easy to make. I'd love to hear if you tried it - let me know.

More silly recipes here.

No comments: