March 11, 2010

Homemade Pizza & Oscar Night

Sunday evening was so nice; we made homemade pizza and watched the Oscars. Well I watched the Oscars and the Hub peaked up at it every now and then from the book he was reading. I am very proud of this recipe that I came up with.


The Hub and I have come to the conclusion that we could put caramelized onions on everything we cook and be perfectly happy. Better yet, we could eat them alone for every meal and be even happier than two greased pigs sleeping in a mud whole.


Speaking of grease, this pizza WILL clog an artery or two if you’re lucky. On the plus side it can be used as a vegetarian meal although it isn’t completely straight up vegan. It is also super cheap.


I am not a vegan – just want to clarify that.


Recipe? Oh yes, here it is:



Eye Watering Zen-like Flashing Pizza

Two large sweet yellow onions

½ cube of butter or more

1 small can of tomato sauce

3 cloves of garlic

2 T. of brown sugar

2 tsp. of oregano

1 tsp. of dried basil

1 tsp. of parsley

S&P to taste

1 T. of olive oil

1 can of Pillsbury Thin Crust pizza dough

1 8oz. pkg. of mozzarella cheese

1 8oz. pkg. of white cheddar cheese or parmesan or anything other kind that would go nicely with the mozzarella



First: Cut onions in half and slice thinly, place in frying pan with melted butter. Set aside about 1/8 c of the onions. Two large onions may seem like too much but they will cook down a lot. My pan cooks these nicely on medium-low heat, yours may be different. Caramelizing the onions is what takes the longest – stir occasionally until they start to brown a little scraping the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. It probably takes around 15-20 min till they are finished. It is the best smell but it will take about a week for it to get out of your house.


Second: While the onions are caramelizing chop the onions you set aside earlier finely and place them and the tomato sauce in a sauce pan along with all of the herbs, S&P, olive oil, brown sugar and minced 3 cloves of garlic. You will notice that this doesn’t make a lot of sauce but you don’t need a lot. The onions and the cheese are the stars of this pizza. Let the sauce simmer on low heat until the onions are done.


Third: Roll out your pizza dough on a baking sheet. Be careful with the thin crust it will tear easily. I wouldn’t worry about making the dough look perfect just spread it out to cover the baking sheet and it will be fine. Place the dough in the oven on 450 for just about 4-5 min just enough to cook before the edges start to brown.


Fourth: Once the onions are finished and the sauce has had enough time to simmer you can start to layer your ingredients. Spread sauce over pizza crust leaving about a half inch around the edges for the crust, then sprinkle with the first layer of cheese, we started with the cheddar and then layered on the onions and topped it off with the mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven until the cheese has melted and the edges of the pizza have begun to brown. I cooked ours until the cheese started to brown too. I don’t have a specific time for this because it is a little different with every pizza you make. It doesn’t take long at all and it is really easy to burn so be sure to watch it.


In the past we have also used this recipe with pulled pork, Hawaiian sauce, pineapple and red onions and it was TO DIE FOR. Next I think we are going to try our own BBQ Chicken version.


Here is a picture of the Hawaiian pulled pork pizza. Yes I have a picture of this from about 6 months ago – I take pictures of the food cook. I am a nerd like that.


To be honest, the best thing about Oscar night was this pizza and the ice cream Drumsticks we ate for dessert. I watch the Oscars every year because I love them and growing up dreaming of becoming an actress I have always been fond of them. I was excited this year because they brought back nominating 10 best pictures instead of just five. I was thrilled to see movies nominated that did well in the box office that regular Americans have actually seen like Inglorious Bustards, District 9 and Up – oh right and that one small film I think it’s called Avatar? Don’t get me wrong I like the artsy-fartsy ones too but I can’t stand it when it is consumed with “industry” nonsense. I was disappointed that it was not as entertaining as it was last year when Hugh Jackman hosted – he did such a great job. I do love that a woman director finally won and that she just happened to beat out her ex-husband who directed the biggest movie of all time – that was sweet.

No comments: