March 9, 2011

Junk Hunt Tips



It's not rocket science and you don't have to be some "expert" to find amazing things at thrift stores. If I can do it anyone can. Some people just have more experience than others. Unless you have a job on Antique Roadshow or that one junk show on cable that I have no idea what the name of it is (I've never seen it but I hear I would love it) then don't call yourself an expert.

I'm not an expert.

But my advice and number one rule for good junk hunting is:

#1. Go often. Seriously, go as much as you can. I have three main joints I hit up weekly - sometimes more. Most days will be misses but on the days you do find gold you'll be so happy and will want to keep going. At least that is how I feel.

#2. Stay open-minded. If I go with a certain item in mind I may end up being dissapointed when I don't find it. When I go with out any expectations is usually when I find some really neat things.

#3. Take hand sanitizer. Some thrift stores clean their items before putting them out on the shelves and some say that they do but I wouldn't always count on it. Some places don't clean anything before they sell it. If you're out and about for the day hitting up multiple loacations you should have some hand sanitizer on-hand. I leave a small bottle in the jockey box of my car.

Any hoo, I just thought I'd share some of my experience with you.

See all of my junk hunt adventures here.
 

No comments: