April 26, 2011

Made This/Love This - Upcycled Levi's DIY


Recently I joined this site Made This/Love This started by one of my favorite fashion bloggers Adored Austin. I've been reading her blog for well over two years now and when I heard she started this I had to join. It's like, totally my bag baby ;)

The first project was to make a tee shirt scarf and since I've already made a bunch here and here I decided to enter (sort of cheated because I didn't make a new one). I entered the Rock Star Restyle scarf I did.

The second project is to upcycle a pair of jeans into some stylin' cutoffs. Not to keep bragging about myself, but what are blogs for? Am I right? I have a ton of experience in this too, having grown up in the eighties and nineties. I've cut many jeans off into shorts in my time.

before

Materials Needed:
old pair of jeans
scissors
sand paper
bleach or ble-otch of you're gangster


I took a pair of shorts that I already own to use as a template for how long I wanted them to be. I laid them on top of the jeans and cut both legs off. I pulled a few strings off from the edges to help speed up the fraying process. I took scissor and made a whole on each leg at random spots and took sand paper over both to help them fray and look aged. I took the sand paper to some of the seams and edges of the pockets to make them look aged as well. After I was finished with tearing them up I placed them in the sink and poured bleach all over them. Let them sit for a few hours, washed them and put them in the dryer. Done!

after

front

back

Styling them was fun. I was happy to pair them with the corduroy blazer I thrifted recently and my bright Grateful Dead tee that I purchased at Target (secret: I don't even like Grateful Dead - like not even a little bit - but the shirt was just cool looking to me). Accessories: thrifted leather fringe purse and favorite moccasins. You guys getting sick of seeing them yet?



If you try this DIY or join Made This/Love This let me know, I would love to see what you've done and/or befriend you on the site.

Peace out

3 comments:

Angela said...

I love your moccasins! The cutoffs look pretty fantastic as well.

Laura Elizabeth said...

OK, those shorts are adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I just want to send you all my old clothes and have you make them into new things for me, because I suck at these things.