July 15, 2011

DIY Week - Muumuu Makeover


Last August...LAST AUGUST I found this muumuu at the thrift store. I always knew that I wanted to cut it in half and make a smock and a skirt out of it. I just had a hard time cutting into it plus you know The Laziness got to me and well, 11 months later I finally did something about it. I just wished that it hadn't been so long or I would left it alone but it was WAY too long. I lucked out and didn't have to take it in (or out). I'm looking forward to being ecstatic (you know when the working part is over) about the bottom half but that's much more ambitious than what I did hear. The bottom half has most of the lovely embroidery on it. That means using more of my sewing, something about an elastic and other stuff about gathering, almost too hard for me to deal with but I'll do it. My goal is August 2012. 

Before


How-to?
*cut in half * sew a hem * add some decorative trim(or not)* done*



After

Consider this the Junk Hunt portion of the post: I wasn't going to add trim but since I had a utility box full of vintage lace trim that I had scored one day at the thrift store I decided to use it. It turns out I had the perfect color combo to match the embroidery as well. I just didn't like the plain yellow bottom. It looked more homemade (not that there's anything wrong with that) with out it. I have a love/hate relationship with lace. I don't usually love it, I just like it sometimes and I only hate it on tank tops. But I won't get into that again

Confession: There's something that some would call a conscious nagging my bumpy brain (what? am I wrong?) I really wanted to make a short dress (which it could be if you're one to let it all hang out) but I cut it too short or I hemmed it too short however you look at it. I still love the way it turned out.

Check out the rest of the week HERE

I want to give a special thanks to an awesome certain woman (she knows who she is) invited me to Google+ now I'm on that too. Go figure. I have no idea how to share my profile yet unless this link works then maybe I do.

I hope you all enjoyed DIY Week. I have something special coming this evening so stay tuned. (but don't hold your breath if nothing happens till Saturday morning)

No comments: