December 6, 2010

Guest Post by Angela from Craving Cupcakes

I am so excited to finally be posting a recipe that isn't something I faked my way through and pretended to be Martha Stewart the entire time. I totally heart/die/love/go ga-ga over this blog and it's recipes, Craving Cupcakes.

Fellow Utahns! You will love this post since it talks about Root Beer, the nectar of the Gods, so I've heard it called. It's served in every restaurant and probably tops Coke and Pepsi in consumption ratings here too.

Thank Angela!

Enjoy!
Brandy

*****************************************************************************



Hello! My name is Angela, and I blog over at Craving Cupcakes. I’m really excited to be guest posting for Brandy today. She’s one of my newest blog friends, and I love reading her blog every day. Brandy is so full of talent! For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a 24 year old nanny living in Calgary, Alberta. I’m in love with baking, and I post recipes on my blog once a week.

I recently took the Baked: New Frontiers in Baking recipe book out from the library and fell in love with it. Without even realizing it, I already had baked two things from the book and loved them. So much so that when I noticed that it was on sale on Amazon, along with the second book (Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented), I went ahead and used up my gift cards and ordered them.

One of my favorites was the root beer bundt cake. The boyfriend and I love root beer, and so when I came across this recipe, I was intrigued at the thought of a cake that tastes like pop! I went along with a few of the suggestions on how to improve the recipe, and I was surprised to find that this cake actually tastes like root beer, minus the fizzy bubbles! I just want to point out that as a Canadian, I have never seen root beer concentrate in stores around me. I was lucky enough to have a friend in the States who mailed me a bottle. If you can’t find it around you, it’s worth it to order a small bottle if you love to bake! (Here’s a link to a site where you can buy yourself a bottle.)




Root Beer Bundt CakeAdapted from If You Give A Girl A Cookie (Who adapted it from Baked)
Cake:2 cups root beer (don’t use diet root beer)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 packed brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp root beer concentrate


1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a bundt pan.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat root beer, cocoa powder and butter until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Whisk eggs until lightly beaten, and then whisk them into the cocoa mixture. Gently fold cocoa mixture into the flour mixture.
5. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Frosting:2 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup root beer
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups icing sugar


1. Beat butter until smooth. Mix in chocolate, salt and cocoa powder.
2. Slowly beat in icing sugar until incorporated. Mix in root beer.
3. Spread on cooled bundt cake.
Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream; it’ll taste just like a root beer float!


Thanks so much for letting me take over your blog today Brandy! I hope you guys will stop by my blog to say hello. Enjoy!